Coriander is known as a spice used extensively in the kitchen. It is used as an ingredient in various dishes and as a garnish for salads and soups. But do you know the several health benefits of this wonderful spice? A few of them have been listed here-
• Coriander is a great source of iron, folic acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium. It is also rich in vitamins A, C and K which help heal many health issues.
• Using a paste made of coriander seeds, water and honey keeps skin diseases like eczema, rashes and inflammation in check.
• Gargling boiled and cooled coriander water reduces mouth ulcers and sores.
• A mask made with coriander paste, turmeric and honey and applied to the face acts as an effective home remedy for pimples and blackheads owing to the antibacterial properties of coriander.
• Coriander seeds stimulates hair growth and prevents excessive hair fall. So mix powdered coriander seeds to hair oil and massage the scalp twice a week.
• Consuming coriander seeds or drinking water boiled with coriander seeds is a great cure for indigestion. The antioxidant properties as well as the dietary fibre of the spice aid in the healthy functioning of the liver and promote regular bowel movements.
• The Vitamin C in coriander seeds makes it a handy cold remedy. Regular consumption helps protect from cold and flu.
• Coriander seeds are also believed to have anti-diabetic properties. They lower blood sugar levels, lower the amount of bad cholesterol and increase the levels of good cholesterol.
• Bacterial infections that arise from food poisoning or water borne diseases like cholera and dysentery can be avoided and healed by regular intake of coriander seeds. The high concentration of dodecenal, a compound more potent than any antibiotic, in coriander seeds, helps in the prevention and cure of bacterial infections.