Black pepper is known as the king of spices and with good reason. When added to a recipe, this unassuming ingredient not just enhances the taste of the dish, it also provides a host of health benefits. A fruit of the black pepper plant belonging to the Piperaceae family, black pepper is used as both, spice and medicine. The best feature of black pepper is that it grows through the year. So you can use it freshly the year-round. Grind a few peppercorns into your salads, sprinkle them over your curries or add them to your tea. Use them in your diet every day and reap the following health benefits-
- Enrich your system with minerals like manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous and potassium as black pepper is a rich source.
- Boost your immunity with vitamins like riboflavin and vitamins C, K and B6. Black pepper is filled with them.
- Lose weight the natural way. The outer layer of peppercorn aids the breakdown of fat cells.
- Improve digestion and prevent constipation, diarrhoea and colic. Pepper increases the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach which improves digestion.
- Cure vitiligo with a topical application of piperine in addition to ultraviolet light therapy. The piperine content of pepper stimulates the skin to produce melonoyctes pigment.
Include this king of spices in your diet every day and make good health your kingdom.