One spice that has always been part of our grandma’s kitchen is carom seed or ajwain. Our grandmas cured every digestive problem or abdominal discomfort with concoctions made from ajwain. Called Ugragandha in Sanskrit, ajwain seeds are produced by a herb plant that originated in India.
The benefits we can derive form ajwain are far and wide. Let us run through the most important of them-
- Ajwian provides instant relief from indigestion and acidity.
- Ajwain helps to treat common cold.
- Ajwain oil provides relief from ear and tooth ache.
- Ajwain, being a fungicide and germicide, acts as an antiseptic for cuts and infections.
- Ajwain water eases colic in babies.
- Ajwain seeds combined with curry leaves, dry grapes and sugar can arrest premature greying of hair.
- Ajwain seeds can be used as a mosquito repellent.
- Ajwain powder helps to lighten acne scars.
- Ajwain paste provides relief from arthritis.